Memorandum of Understanding signed between the 6G-IA and the IMT-2030 (6G) Promotion Group on 6G cooperation
On 2nd June, 2022, the 6G Smart Networks and Services Industry Association (Chair of Board: Colin Willcock) and the IMT-2030 (6G) Promotion Group (Chair: Zhiqin WANG), signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on 6G.
- I. Background of MoU
The 6G Smart Networks and Services Industry Association (6G-IA) is the voice of European Industry and Research for next generation networks and services. Its primary objective is to contribute to Europe’s leadership on beyond 5G and 6G research and to full 5G deployment according to the 5G Action Plan. The 6G-IA carries out a wide range of activities in strategic areas including standardization, frequency spectrum, R&D projects, technology skills, collaboration with key vertical industry sectors, notably for the development of trials, and international cooperation.
The IMT-2030 (6G) Promotion Group is the flagship platform in China to promote 6G R&D and international cooperation, and it is driving the cutting-edge research on 6G technology and industry in China. Its primary objective is to gather China’s industry-university-research forces to promote 6G researches in a wide range of areas, including vision and requirements, wireless and network technologies, standardization, trials, study of social and economic impact, and international collaborations.
Yesterday, 6G-IA and the IMT-2030 (6G) Promotion Group have agreed to sign a Memorandum of Understanding to further promote cooperation on 6G.
- II. Areas of Cooperation
Here are the areas of cooperation, following the Memorandum of Understanding.
- Exchange information in the field of 6G communication systems and networks
- Collaborate in the following aspects
- Vision of 6G communication systems and networks.
- Requirements on 6G communication systems and networks.
- Discussions on basic system concepts.
- Frequency spectrum in order to support the global regulatory process.
- Preparation of future global standards by identification of common interest and consensus building.
- Collaboration on the development of a single global standard to ensure one global ecosystem for 6G.
- Encouraging collaborative 6G research projects.
III. Further steps
Both the 6G-IA and IMT-2030 (6G) Promotion Group seek to organize joint activities, including but not limited to workshops, seminars, webinars, trials, and joint publications.
6G Smart Networks and Services Industry Association
The IMT-2030 (6G) Promotion Group